Title: Information Communication & Telecommunication Officer
Category and Grade Level: National Officer – NOB
IMIS NOs: 63882
Type of Contract: Fixed Term – 1 Year
Organization Unit: Operations
Duty Station: UNICEF - Hargeisa
Date of Issue: 11 April 2011
Closing date of Application: 26 April 2011
If you are qualified Somali National looking for a chance to make a real difference in the lives of vulnerable Somali children while gaining opportunities for career growth, you are invited to apply for the above post, of Information Communication & Telecommunication (ICT ) Officer, with UNICEF Somalia to be based in Hargeisa.
If successful, you’ll be part of a dynamic and passionate team in Somalia and Nairobi that works together to improve the health, nutrition, water, sanitation, hygiene, and basic education of Somali girls and boys and protect them from violence, exploitation and abuse.
The successful candidate will be offered a Fixed Term Appointment for one year. Further extensions will be based on organizational needs, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Purpose of the Post
Under the guidance of the Operations Manager (P-3), and ICT Manager (USSC), post holder will support the management of ICT functions inside Somalia in all zone offices.
Major duties and responsibilities
· Provide overall supervision, leadership and support to manage ICT functions and services in all zone offices. Travel as per agreed travel plan with ICT Manager (USSC) and Operations Manager to offices (Bossaso, Garowe, Mogadishu, Galkayo, Baidoa, Wajid etc) on monthly basis and ensuring that IT systems are effectively managed and operational 24x7. Responsible for adequate management of ICT infrastructure that includes office corporate network, data center, telecommunication facilities in Hargeisa.
· Install and administer the office ICT applications and data+ telecommunication facilities. This involves administering data security for end user access to such network and/or facilities and troubleshooting ad-hoc hardware or software problems experienced on the network or facilities.
· Assist in deployment of UNICEF emergency telecommunications networks and industry-standard infrastructure. Include radio and satellite communications systems as primary or backup means of communications, power systems and other logistical support required. Ensure reliable, robust and efficient operational communications for UNICEF emergency operations.
· Coordinate ICT helpdesk functions by planning, scheduling and monitoring helpdesk tasks and assignments of ICT support staff. Provide support and training to staff on office automation applications (Lotus Notes, MS Office, WAN applications and mobile user clients). Assist in performing systems administration functions for Domino, network Operating systems and ProMS whenever needed
· Create and maintain ICT inventory and configuration database for both hardware and software. Regularly review and evaluate office end users equipment and recommend replacement in accordance with UNICEF hardware life cycle guidelines. Assist in deployment and introduction of new systems into the office.
· Provide direct support in preparation for MOSS compliance in telecom; coordinate with UNDSS and ICT Manager on emergency communications support and minimum field security communications standards, for the safety and security of UNICEF staff. Maintain and update call signs of staffs.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
· University degree in Information Technology, Telecommunications, or related field, as below:
· Theoretical foundations of computer science, with practical applications of telecommunications and development of voice and data systems.
· Specialized training in telecommunications technology, management and policy with up-to-date coverage of the issues and trends.
· Training in: management information systems; data communications and networks, computer networking, telecommunications management, telecommunications policy and environment.
· Five years’ experience, two of which should be at professional level in voice and data communications hardware and software, particularly in the context of VSAT, wireless, emergency telecommunications and networking. Knowledge and experience of field security and managerial+people skills are highly desirable.
· Experience in planning and/or supporting the physical technical environment necessary for a field office to function.
· Fluency in English and another UN language is required.
· Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is desirable.
· Proven skills in management and administration.
· Team work and Drive for Result.
· Good writing and communication skills.
· Supervisory ability.
· Proven ability to plan, manage and monitor the effective use and safekeeping of fixed assets and financial resources.
· Good analytical and negotiating skills.
· Ability to organize and implement training.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications with updated UN Personal History Form (P.11), updated CV, copies of academic certificates to one of the following email address. UN staff are requested to provide their two Performance Evaluation Reports (PERs). Please quote the vacancy number in your application.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
UNICEF IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
|< Prev||Next >|